Its construction began in 1175, in the late twelfth century and lasted until the early fourteenth century. It is a Cistercian style building transitional Romanesque-Gothic.
State of Conservation: It is in very good condition, although the prisons need to be rebuilt. On the outside of the Church is the rehabilitated Chapel of Saint Adrian, it is surrounded by the ruins of the old seminary. Closed to the public.
Access: At kilometre 8 off the NA-111 (Estella-Etxarri Aranza) Road, there is a small road on the left that leads 4 kilometres to the Monastery.
Visibility: The Monastery can be visited freely or by guided tours.
Contact: (+34) 948 520 047 / (+34) 948 52 00 12
- Cloister: There are different construction stages, the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. This explains the variety of styles from a Cistercian to a Gothic style.
- Washstand: Hexagonal shaped and Gothic style fountain, it was virtually rebuilt in the 1942 restoration.
- Chapter house: At the end of the twelfth century. A cross vaulted roof that rests on two central columns. A Roman arch doorway between splayed windows.
- Monumental kitchen: The kitchen was built in the thirteenth century; the gigantic fireplace supported by four arches stands out. Arches with decorated key stones - these arches are supported by modillions brackets and capitals decorated with geometric and plant motifs. On the outside the masonry walls are reinforced by buttresses, emerging from the fireplace.
- The Church: Is shaped in a Latin cross layout with on central and two side chapels. These chapels are separated by pointed arches resting on strong pillars. They have cross vaults between the arches. The stress beams of the ceiling supported by modillion brackets and transverse arches suspended with capitals. The only decorated elements are the capitals and modillions, decorated with plant images. There are several windows inside the Church, concentrating light in the sanctuary, with triple and central rose windows. The exterior have masonry walls that are reinforced by buttresses. At the foot of the Church there is a simple arch with plant decoration and smooth columns.
- Sacristy: From the first half of the seventeenth century, it is rectangular shape in Mannerist style.
- Refectory: Access through a Gothic doorway. The room from medieval origins was profoundly transformed in the seventeenth century. Closed to the public.
- Punishment cells: A large rectangular room, contemporary style to the Church, where the arches still remain. Closed to the public.
- Abbot’s residence: Angle shaped with a restored porch that retains the central panel with a larch arch from the twelfth century. At this time it corresponded to the Abbey house with its pointed arch on columns, it was, however, restored in the Baroque period. Closed to the public.